Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

Amazon Blogs: Armchair Commentary Daily Digest

Check out these Updates from Armchair Commentary for February 14, 2010.

February 14, 2010
We are not talking about cute and cuddly. We're not talking about sweet. (This is why The Office's Jim & Pam are not on the list.) We're talking about the stuff of legend, like when millions tuned in every week to see David and Maddie (Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd) spar on Moonlighting, right up until that (fateful) night they consummated all that buildup. (Viewers left shortly afterwards, making this show forever set the bar for Why You Should Not Let Your Main Couple Hook Up.)

The other day I was watching an unnamed TV drama currently on the air (I do not identify the show because I don't want to be blamed for spoiling any plot points for those of you who only watch shows on DVD or on DVR weeks later) in which the leading male and female had so far had no hints of romance, until she was in need of comforting and he stroked her hair, and suddenly I found myself leaning so far off the sofa waiting as their faces came very, very close. I was not rooting for these two to become a couple, but now that they've flirted with the idea, I have to say I'm intrigued.

But those are the types of couples I like the most; not the star-crossed lovers, but the unexpected pairings that stumble on each other. Despite all the bad dialogue ("We shouldn't be doing this." "What are you afraid of?") I admit I liked Kelly and Dylan way better than Brenda and Dylan on 90210 (even though, in the end, it seems no one can really make Dylan settle down. You either end up alone, alone with a kid, or dead); and of course Joey and Pacey proved to be a much better couple than her original MTB (Meant To Be), Dawson.

I am also a fan of Meredith & Derek (Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey) on Grey's Anatomy, mostly because this relationship started from a one-night stand--so at least we got THAT out of the way--but managed to sustain the tension through breakups, other relationships, and hospital politics. Particularly season two, with a lot of very tense moments in an elevator and a night of passion at the prom (don't ask).

I asked around the office for other opinions, and here's what they said:

Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) from The X-Files. They can “trust no-one”, but each other. --Amanda

[On Mad Men], I love Pete (Vincent Kartheiser) and Peggy (Elisabeth Moss)’s weird, painful and achingly dysfunctional pull towards one another (and that whole “I had your baby, and I gave it away” thing is just the icing on the crazy-cake). --Kira

Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) and Rick Castle (Nathan Fillion) on Castle. Mmmmm..... --Shauna

I hate to go the vampire answer, but Sookie (Anna Paquin) and Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) from True Blood… As they say, the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.  (Yes, I know she’s semi-engaged to Bill.) --Leah


Going back a few years, but I’m going to have to go with Bobby & Diane (Jimmy Smits & Kim Delaney) from NYPD Blue. Chemistry, connection, and intensity that seemed for real. And pretty much the main reason a non-cop-drama fan like me watched the show for years. --Lisanne

Michael (Jeffrey Donovan) and Fiona (Gabrielle Anwar) from Burn Notice. They burn for each other. And kill for each other too. --Stephanie

Alright, so even though the show is not on anymore, and wasn’t for that long, Jordan Catalano (Jared Leto) and Angela Chase (Claire Danes) from My So-Called Life were a truly intense couple, if that’s what you could call them. He was painfully aloof, she was awkward, but despite it all, it worked. And that moment, when he held her hand walking down the hallway, to the tune of Buffalo Tom’s “Late at Night,” was truly epic. --Meredith B.

Who did we miss? --Ellen
 

We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. However, if you'd rather not receive future e-mails of this sort from Amazon.com, please visit the opt-out link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive