Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Amazon Blogs: Armchair Commentary Daily Digest

Check out these Updates from Armchair Commentary for February 3, 2010.

February 3, 2010

Okay, so I know the big news of the week is of course the Oscar nominations, but some of the industry may still be recovering from the 26th Sundance Film Festival, which concluded this past weekend. It was my first Sundance experience and I think can best be summed up simply by saying it's exhilarating, exhausting...and involves a lot of snow! And of course, I am now addicted.

Considering this year’s Sundance stars may just be next year’s Oscar babies (case in point:Oscar-nominated Precious,  The Messenger and An Education were Sundance ’09 winners), I thought I would share my thoughts on the fest films that caught my attention:

1. Blue Valentine – A drama with star power that actually proved worthy of it’s praise. Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling  play a married couple who’s complex relationship story is told. It’s shot beautifully and both actors turn in raw and real performances worth watching for that alone. Yes, it's a bit of a downer, but it was my favorite performances and film at the festival. And Harvey thought so too – The Weinstein Company purchased it.

2. Restrepo - a timely documentary that chronicles the deployment of a platoon of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. Filmmakers Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington's spent a year living with the unit – it's as real as it gets. Their hard work paid off, as the film went on to on the world cinema documentary grand jury prize, and although I didn’t get to see it, it came up in many conversations and made the top films of the fest lists of critics and film-goers alike.

3. Buried - Sole actor Ryan Reynolds trapped in a coffin with only a lighter and a cell phone. My first thought when I read this in the film guide prior to the festival was “Wait, an entire movie with just Ryan Reynolds?” And quickly my 2nd thought turned to “Wait, an ENTIRE movie with JUST Ryan Reynolds!” Frankly I would pay $10 to see Ryan Reynolds staring at the wall for all I care, but maybe that's just me.  Turns out I am not the only one - the film was quite the talk opening weekend (and not by just crazy women like me – apparently it was quite innovative and, well, good). The bidding war started quickly after its premiere and it was the first Sundance 2010 film purchased (by Lionsgate).

4. Winter’s Bone – A young girl from the Ozarks hunts down her father while trying to keep her family together. I also wasn't able to see this, but after it’s premiere on Sat. of opening weekend, I heard nothing but good things from those that saw this drama/thriller/mystery. And it won the big one – the Grand Jury Dramatic Prize as well as the Waldo Salt screenwriting award. It was purchased as well, and be on the look-out for a rumored summer release.

5.  Happythankyoumoreplease proved a winner for writer/director/actor Josh Radnor ( of How I Met Your Mother fame), and not just because in my opinion it has the best name of the festival. The dramedy took home the dramatic audience award. In Josh’s words “The movie's about relationships, people in New York trying to be a little happier and a little less cynical.” Sometimes you just can't take another downer film, so a charming and fun film like this seemed a welcome one. Fingers crossed this one gets purchased and gets some marketing power behind it, as I am thinking it could be a perfect little uplifting summer indie.

6. I also enjoyed Hesher – Spencer Susser’s black Comedy starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Natalie Portman (who served double-duty as producer as well). It seemed to receive mixed reactions from audiences, but it was another lucky one that found a home - snapped up Newmarket Films. Joseph plays a crude rebel with ease, and teen Devin Brouchu is impressive in a challenging role. (One of the many great kid/teen performances seen at Sundance this year.) It’s dark and humorous (and R rated to say the least) - and I think it will find it’s fans. As it should, cause man poor Devin just gets the crap beat out of him in that movie and he deserves something just for that!

7. Adrian Grenier’s Teenage Paparazzo is also one I have to add to my list (and no, not just because I heart Vincent Chase).  Adrian explores the subject of our celebrity obsession through the eyes of a teen paparrazo. Seriously – the kid is like 13 and on his scooter in L.A. at 3AM taking pap shots. It’s entertaining, fascinating, and an interesting take on our media culture. You know, I think Adrian has a back-up job with this director thing in case that whole Entourage thing doesn’t pan out.

So there's my list - acknowledging that there were many incredible films that I may be leaving out - so hope you can go explore them for yourself! And although this blog is getting far to long, I can't resist but to leave you with my top 4 random festival thoughts as I close the book on Sundance 2010:

1. Even at a festival filled with industry professionals and filmmakers from all over the world, the after-movie Q&A with the cast will still involve stupid questions from the audience that will cause you to cringe. Case in point, with Ryan Gosling and Oscar-nominated Michelle Williams fielding post screening of Blue Valentine Q&A, an audience member chose to ask about the hairstyle of the little girl in the film. Yes, after waving your hand wildly with all that talent in the room, why the child actor has a “sophisticated haircut” is exactly what I would want to know. And that preceded a question about if Ryan would take off his shirt, following a question about The Notebook. Really Sundance crowd? I expected more for you! I mean not that I wouldn’t mind seeing Ryan without his shirt on, but that is not the point.

2. The Commish rocks! (Okay some of you may know him better from The Shield, but he will always be the Commish to me.) Michael Chiklis and his band can rock a crowd and cause celebs to even whip out their cameras. At the HIGH Schoolpremiere party he got the cast on stage and even made Collin Hanks look (slightly) less awkward and rock out.

3) Paris Hilton’s hair is so blonde it can be seen even in a dark theater kinda like a glow stick. No joke.

4) Watching the world premiere of a film with what seemed like the entire cast/crew sitting in front of me, cheering wildly throughout the beginning credits, hugging each other and giving high-fives was the most incredible reminder of just what a big deal it is to actually get a film on to the screen, and to the people involved with it. To the cast/crew of Skateland (a coming-of-age dramedy that pays homage to the 80’s John Hughes films, with great 80’s clothes and soundtrack to boot), thanks for inspiring me to remember what makes the film community and festival amazing. Amidst the Sundance deals, the parties and star power, at the end of the day there truly is a celebration of film still going on.

So thanks Bob (that’s Robert Redford to the rest of you) – and best of luck to all the lucky Sundance kids!  I’m already counting down to Sundance 2011! -- Lisanne

February 3, 2010
Dirty Sexy Money star William Baldwin slides easily into the famed cowl as the voice of Batman in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths , an all-new DC Universe Animated Original Movie from Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation. A fan of the... read more

 

We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. However, if you'd rather not receive future e-mails of this sort from Amazon.com, please visit the opt-out link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive