Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Amazon Blogs: Armchair Commentary Daily Digest

Check out these Updates from Armchair Commentary for November 9, 2009.

November 9, 2009

You know how it goes...the moment when you're watching a movie and you're tearing up a little bit, attempting a quiet sniffle, averting your eyes or taking deep breaths.  But then something snaps and you decide to just ride it out, let loose and enjoy the cleansing catharsis of sobbing your heart out.  I'm an unabashed crier - overly emotionally responsive to everything...a movie, book, song...if I'm in the right (wrong) mood, just about anything can set me off, but it's a rare occasion when I experience that end-of-the-road-totally-lose-it-moment.  And I kind of love it...am I the only one?

The last time this happened to me was completely unexpected.  Heading into a weeknight 3-D showing of Up, I'd heard rumblings that it was a little emotional, but I certainly didn't expect to end up sobbing behind my awesome 3-D old man glasses.  And boy, did I sob.  I considered leaving the theater to catch my breath and my friend started giving me sincerely concerned looks.  Eventually I pulled it together and so thoroughly enjoyed Pixar's latest masterpiece that even before the Oscar-buzz season begins, I'm confident in saying it's my absolute favorite movie of 2009.  The really sad stuff is over in the first 15 minutes (but what a beautiful 15 minutes!) and the rest of the film is hilarious, moving, exciting and really, in my opinion, just about perfect. 

Amanda already blogged about the romantic films that make her cry like a baby, but I was curious about the other-non-Notebook-y type movies that destroy us (in the best possible way) and here a few responses from my movie-addict friends here at Amazon.

Angela: Million Dollar Baby
"I bought the DVD in the morning, watched it that night, promptly gave it away the next day because I knew I could never subject myself to that much of a sob-fest ever again."

Ellen:  The end of Schindler’s List, when Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson) looks at the items of luxury around him (his car, his ring) and imagines how many more Jews he could have saved. It was me and four other people in the theater at a weekday matinee, so that gave me freedom to let the waterworks go. I don’t cry in movies that often, but this was like a heaving-shoulders-sputtering-using-sleeve type of crying, a level of cinematic reaction only matched by the end-title sequence of Philadephia, when home movies of Tom Hanks’ character as a happy (alive) boy play over the Neil Young title song.

Stephanie: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Yes, I am revealing the depths of  my geekitude here, but when Spock sacrifices himself for the Enterprise, his farewell to Kirk … well, I’m tearing up just thinking about it. The way he straightens his coat when he rises to greet his superior officer (a gesture you see echoed by Zachary Quinto in the new Trek). “I have been and always shall be your friend” he says, his voice reduced to a croak.

I completely echo Ellen for that end-title sequence in Philadephia - I've got to be armed and ready with tissues and twizzlers to make it through that.  The final episode of Six Feet Under also destroys me so completely each and every time that's it's become my go-to viewing for the random occasion I actually want to feel like that.  What's your "Lose It" movie or TV show? 


Up comes out tomorrow - order the 4 Disc Blu-ray/DVD combo pack before Wednesday and get a second Disney Blu-ray movie for $10 off.  Check out all the details here and get your kleenex ready (though I readily admit that my reaction was probably not typical :) ---Kira

 

We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. However, if you'd rather not receive future e-mails of this sort from Amazon.com, please visit the opt-out link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive