Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Amazon Blogs: Armchair Commentary Daily Digest

Check out these Updates from Armchair Commentary for July 25, 2010.

July 25, 2010
While mopping my kitchen floor last Saturday afternoon, I turned on the TV to Pride and Prejudice, airing on the Style Network. It's one of those great standbys that's gotten better for me across multiple viewings, even getting me over my prejudice (forgive the pun) against Keira Knightley's pouting.

As the final scene approached, I was shocked when the movie abruptly ended and went to credits right after Elizabeth's father (Donald Sutherland) gave his blessing. This cut out the swoony, romantic finale altogether:

Clearly, there was a time issue (the broadcast was 2:30 including commercials, but the movie is 127 minutes), but whoever was in charge of editing for television broadcast was either trigger-happy or has a heart of stone.

This reminds of how every year I watched The Sound of Music during its annual network broadcast, and it wasn't until college, when I finally saw the theatrical version, that I realized when Maria, Capt. von Trapp and the kids are trying to sneak out of their house to escape the Nazis, that Franz the butler is watching them from the window (this cutaway was not in the TV broadcasts back then; I have no idea if they've restored it). This implies that Franz ratted them out to the Nazis, who intercepted their escape, somewhat of a major detail I was surprised I'd never seen before.

And finally, there's The Breakfast Club. Once again, in my youthful innocence, I loved watching the scene where they're all dancing like maniacs around the library after their heartfelt, tearful soul-bearing conversation. It told me that when you go to high school, all you need to do is sit around tearing into each other's stereotypes and it unites you in a way that leaves you all bopping around as friends. Little did I know this entire scene had been cut for network broadcast:

So really, it wasn't Molly Ringwald's lipstick trick that facilitated the cross-clique bonding--it was marijuana. I understand why networks wouldn't show this scene, but this revelation is like the time I realized people let loose and dance at weddings because they're drunk, not just because they're really happy for the bride and groom.

Are there any movies whose edited network broadcasts surprised--even disgusted--you? --Ellen
 

We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. However, if you'd rather not receive future e-mails of this sort from Amazon.com, please visit the opt-out link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive